It’s hard to believe how fast the time goes by! In May of this year, Stephanie Steele organized and directed the inaugural WGPO tournament in Bloomington, MN, drawing 52 players from far and wide to enjoy the game we all love. Just 6 months later, there have now been 26 more events held in locations ranging from Arizona to Oregon, California to South Carolina and even a cruise on the Mediterranean! Thank you so much to all of the directors out there who have stepped up to organize events!
Looking forward through the end of the year and into 2011 there are some excellent tournament opportunities to look out for.
– John Spangler and Steve Bush continue their monthly events in Lexington, KY.
– Michael Treshler has begun some new events in Clayton, CA.
– Lynda Finn brings a new event to Madison, WI.
– We have our 2nd challenge event with Vancouver vs. Seattle in December.
– The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend will see two big tournaments in Reno and the Twin Cities. Plenty of games to get your fix!!
– Reno will have 3 individual events giving you the opportunity to play 33 games over 4 days.
– The Twin Cities Redeye tournament will allow diehards to play 30 games over 2 days!
– North of the border, John Aitken has been organizing for a great event in beautiful Vancouver, BC in March.
– Larry Rand and Barbara Van Alen continue to spoil us with wonderful opportunities with their events in Phoenix and the Grand Canyon as well as some exciting cruises in Southeast Asia, Alaska, Hawaii and a Trans-Atlantic crossing.
A full listing of upcoming events can be found at http://wordgameplayers.org/tournaments/upcoming-tournaments/
We would love to see many more events added to the calendar as well. Whether it’s a small afternoon tourney with a handful of players or a big weekend event, there’s room on the WGPO calendar for it! Feel free to contact us with your ideas for an event or to get a tournament on the calendar.
The WGPO is in the process of writing a Director’s test for certifying new directors. The test will be offered online. Details about how to take the test and get certified will be posted when available.
A director FAQ document is also in the works and will be posted to the website when it is ready. The FAQ will help to answer questions about organizing and running events. Of course you are always free to contact any of us on the Tournament Committee or Executive Committee as well. We’re here to help!
Thank you so much to everyone who has supported the WGPO events held over the last six months. We look forward to many more tournaments in the months and years to come. Remember to have fun, play fair and play often!
Chair, Tournament Committee