Updated WGPO SanctionedTournament Requirements
Effective: January 2, 2022
Requirement #3 Amended effective: April 1, 2022
Requirement #2 Amended effective: May 21, 2022
Requirements #2 and #3 Amended effective: November 1, 2022
These requirements amend and supersede Updated Tournament Rules issued by the Board of Player Representatives (BPR), effective September 1 – December 31, 2021. Rules apply to sanctioned in person tournament play only. Standards for resuming local WGPO Club play shall be determined by individual clubs and directors.Variants of the COVID virus, Delta and Omicron, have evolved. Because viruses constantly change through mutation, new variants are also expected to occur. WGPO requirements are based on Center for Disease Control (CDC) COVID-19 Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People, updated November 19, 2021, and advice from Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC).
- Directors shall conduct Tournaments that comply with federal, state and local health directives including Canadian, provincial and territorial directives.
- All tournament participants must be both fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 andup-to-date with recommended Covid-19 booster shots for which they are eligible.
With the recent availability of the new bivalent Omicron booster, starting November 1, 2022, players will be required to have an additional booster – if they are eligible and recommended for an additional booster — to participate in WGPO tournaments.
- For US players (12 years and older), an additional (bivalent) booster shot after August 31, 2022 is required, unless the last shot in your primary series was less than two months ago.
- For Canadian players, eligibility is currently based on your province and is typically recommended 5 or 6 months after your most recent Covid vaccination. Recent Covid infection may affect your guidance for the new booster in certain provinces.
- Players outside the US and Canada must follow Covid vaccination guidance from your home country.
For tournaments prior to November 1, 2022, players will follow previous Covid vaccine policy (primary series plus 1 or 2 boosters depending on age.)
Either a printed or electronic copy of COVID 19 vaccine plus booster must be presented to tournament director at time of registration.
- Masking requirements effective November 1, 2022, are as follows:
- Masks are optional in tournaments if the tournament is held in a county where the CDC has designated the Community COVID-19 level as less than red (high) at tournament time.
- Masks are required in tournaments if the tournament is held in a county where the CDC has designated the Community COVID-19 level as high at the time of the tournament.
- The tournament director retains the option to require masks regardless of tournament size.
- Masks are not required at tournaments held in private residences or outdoors.
- Tournaments shall be held in venues away from public or congested areas, e.g., in a separate hall or room in a restaurant, community center, hotel, private home, etc.
- On the day of the tournament, each participant shall attest by signature to the following:
- I do not currently have COVID-19 symptoms.
- I am assuming all risks of attending the tournament.
- I have fully cleaned and sanitized all equipment to be used in play.
- I will practice safe hygiene and follow COVID-19 safety precautions.
6. Directors shall provide hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes to participants