We have a 35-year history at the Grand Canyon. It’s a magical place. Please join us there this year and experience it for yourself. Details: Grand Canyon Flyer
Mike Baron and the late Stan Rubinsky organized the first tournaments there. Here are some pictures from Elizabeth Wood’s archives:
From Keith Hagel:
As many of you may know, Nancy McCarroll has been battling a serious health
problem, which prevented her from playing in this year’s Word Cup. To let
her know she was in our thoughts, many of the players signed a Scrabble®
board, donated by Larry Rand and Barbara Van Alen, for her, which we sent
to her home in Grand Junction, Colo., along with a shirt from the event.
This was Nancy’s response:
What a thoughtful thing to send the Scrabble® board and Word Cup T-shirt! I
love it! Thank you, thank you!
From Lynda Finn:
18 players gathered on Saturday August 12 for the first ever tournament in Appleton WI at the home of Janet and John Griesel. Congrats to Bryan Benwitz who was undefeated and to all the other winners and players. Results: Appleton Stats
Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Balance 1/31/2016 6,406.62
Tourney donations 946.63
Private donations 236.50
Refund from WC director cancelation 125.00
Previous WC Director admissions to WC VII 375.00
Donation to WC VII from raffles 770.00
Seed money for WC VII 2,000.00
Balance 7/28/2017 5,270.87
Monday, July 31, 2017
- Bennett announced that Word Cup 8 will take place July 7 – 11, 2018, at the Airport Marriott in Burbank, California. Bennett and Dave Postal will be co-directors. There will be no Early Bird. Winter suggested that there be a Night Bird instead. There was a request that a tour of Hollywood be organized for July 6 in lieu of the usual Early Bird. A show of hands indicated that almost everyone present hoped to go to Word Cup 8.
- Deborah Baggett volunteered to sub for Melissa Brown as member liaison.
- Melissa Brown (Member Liaison), Henry Yeung (Webmaster), Janice Kaye (Treasurer), David Wood (Tournament Coordinator), Mike Johnson and Winter (Ratings Committee) volunteer their time on an ongoing basis to keep our organization running smoothly. We could not function without them. We have no paid staff. More volunteers are welcome. There are many ways to help.
- Helen Flores asked members to suggest ways that WGPO could help promote club participation in their communities.
- Keith Hagel asked for volunteers for the Nominations and Elections committee. Winter volunteered. Ruth Hamilton proposed that the voting procedure be changed so that officers be elected at the annual Word Cup. Proxies would be allowed. This would require a change to the bylaws. There was a mixed response to this suggestion. It was agreed that the present system needs improvement. Winter suggested looking at other web voting options. David Goldberg suggested voting take place at local clubs and/or tournaments.
- Mary Attwood inquired about the financial health of WGPO. Keith Hagel reported that we have $5,100 in the treasury. Due to fund-raising efforts, the Word Cups are pretty much self-supporting.
- Keith Hagel asked how many would come back to Springfield for a tournament. A fair number of those present said they would.
- Helen Flores wanted to know if the membership felt it was easy to contact the board and if they felt we were listening.
- Fran Galt asked about assessing dues. Helen Flores replied that we don’t need the money, and it’s simpler not to have dues.
- Mike Johnson wondered if we should get liability insurance coverage for our directors and tournaments. Helen Flores said we should ask our lawyers. Carolyn Atchison suggested that we ask people to sign a waiver. It is possible for directors to get a rider on a homeowner’s or business policy to cover tournament liability. WGPO would have to be a formal organization in order to get coverage. Bennett wondered about registering as a non-profit.
The meeting was adjourned.