From Helen Flores:
WGPO Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Sunday July 3, 2022
Call to Order: President Steve Pellinen called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm CST.
Attending: Will Anderson, Steve Pellinen, Jan Cardia, Laurie Cohen, Helen Flores, Keith Hagel, Bennett Jacobstein.
Agenda: Word Cup 2023 discussion.
The meeting focused on potential venues and concerns about holding Word Cup 11 2023 in the Northeastern United States.
Directors identified key concerns and results of initial inquiries.
- Venue rates tend to be higher than those in other areas of the country.
- Playing rooms need to accommodate 250 – 300 players.
- Sleeping rooms – negotiate good rate for players.
- Subject to year end evaluations, Directors may anticipate about the same level of CCSFF prize funds allocated as for Word Cup 10 – $50,000.
- Possible dates to hold Word Cup 11.
Discussion included likelihood of attracting players from Canada as well as the U.S., accessibility for travel, potential tournament directors, benefits of particular venues and dates.
Directors decided to obtain additional information about particular venues and contractual details before making a final decision.
Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.